Phone: 0131 660 0446 (also fax); 07771 575849 (mobile)
- Equal Exchange Ltd. (Chair)
- Lorna Young Foundation (Chair)
- Fair Trade Sports Balls Ltd., t/a Bala Sport (Chair)
- Energy4All Trust
- Whitmuir Community Farm Ltd.
- Penicuik Community Alliance Ltd.
Martin has worked in the co-operative sector for more than 30 years:
- Member of GreenCity Wholefoods worker co-operative 1983-1997, learning all aspects of the business (sales, key account management, marketing, buying, management accounts, logistics) and appointed general manager 1993-97.
- Scottish Secretary of the Co-operative Group (formerly CWS), 1997-2004.
- Business consultant supporting co-operatives and other social enterprises 2004 to date.
Martin was a member of ICOM General Council (now the Worker Co-operative Council of Co-operatives UK) from 1986 to 1997, and also helped to establish the Network of Wholefood Wholesale Worker Co-operatives. He also played a key role in the establishment of Equal Exchange Trading and Highland Wholefoods as worker co-operatives during his time at GreenCity. He was also involved in the late 1980s and early 1990s in the Scottish Wholefood Collective, which provided peer support for worker co-ops in the wholefood sector (including a pilot initiative with DTI funding).
He has several times visited and written about the Mondragon group of worker co-operatives in the Basque country of Spain. He was also a visiting lecturer on co-operatives at University College Cork for many years, organising co-operative placements in Scotland for postgraduate diploma students from the Department of Food Economics/Centre for Co-operative Studies at UCC from 1991 to 2015.
Martin was for many years a Director of Employee Ownership Scotland, and was Chair of the Scottish Co-operative & Mutual Forum and subsequently Co-operation & Mutuality Scotland from 1999 to 2006. He was a founding member of the Advisory Board of Co-operative Development Scotland 2006-09.He was also a founding Director of The Phone Co-op (1997-2002), and a Trustee of Co-operative & Community Finance (ICOF) 2004-05.
Martin also chaired the Board of Cafédirect from 1998 to 2005, playing a key role in Board development, as well as overseeing the company’s £5m public share issue in 2004. From 2004 to 2012, he was company secretary of the Community Retailing Network, a joint initiative between the Co-operative Group and community co-operatives in Scotland, which subsequently merged with the Plunkett Foundation. Since February 2009, Martin has been part of the Specialist Advisor Framework of CDS, providing development support and assistance to a variety of new co-operative business initiatives. From 2010 to 2014, Martin managed the Co-operative Enterprise Hub in Scotland. He is currently also a specialist advisor and representative for the Plunkett Foundation in Scotland.
KEY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- Business and financial planning and management
- Board development and governance
- Business networking
- Marketing the co-operative advantage
- Strategic development
- International co-operative movement
LANGUAGES French – good; Spanish – basic.
QUALIFICATIONS BA Honours (English), Oxford University, 1971