Pablo has been involved with student co-operatives since 2014 through the Edinburgh Student Housing Co-operative, the Swap and Reuse Hub (SHRUB) Co-operative and the national network Students for Co-operation. He has held many roles, developing a thorough understanding of the world of student co-operatives in the UK.
Pablo wrote his final year undergraduate dissertation on the history of Radical Routes, the UK-based network of housing and worker co-operatives. He has also written several papers on the Edinburgh Student Housing Co-operative, bringing to attention the relevance of student housing co-operatives in the current political climate. He has presented his writings at the 2017 Co-operative College Education and Research Conference 2017, the 2017 ICA International Research Conference, and the 2017 UK Journal of Co-operative Studies. Pablo has also worked as part of the team developing Student Co-operative Homes, a national body for student housing co-operatives.
In 2017, Pablo joined the Co-operative University Working Group as a SfC representative, scoping the possibility of setting up a Co-operative University together with the Co-operative College among others. He helped organise the Co-operative University conference, which took place in Manchester in November 2017.
In 2018, Pablo worked as an organiser for Co-operative Ways Forward 6, later joining CBC as an associate.
Students for Co-operation Delegate, 2015 – 2017
- Attend regular delegate meetings
- Represent SfC in external forums
- Promote SfC within the Edinburgh student co-ops community
Director, Swap and Reuse Hub (SHRUB) Co-operative, 2015 – 2017
- To support the delivery, development, administration and evaluation of the project, including workshops, a shop with regular opening hours and other activities in line with SHRUB’s principles.
- To recruit, support and supervise staff
- To support and help coordinate internal training opportunities
- To oversee funding applications and written progress reports to funders
- To support the smooth running of the charity in what respects business development, governance and organisational structure.
- To develop and implement policies for the organisation including health and safety, equal opportunities, conflict and mediation, etc.
- To attend fortnightly Board of Directors and staff meetings, facilitating and taking minutes when necessary
Member, Edinburgh Student Housing Co-operative, 2015 – 2017
Essential Accountancy Training for Co-operatives, Co-ops UK, 2017
MA History and Politics, University of Edinburgh, 2017
LANGUAGES – Spanish, English